Sunday, August 28, 2011

Stank Stylists: What Has My Hair Ever Done to You??



Isn’t it funny how people think that just because they are professionals in an area that anything that they can’t figure out is your fault, not theirs? I’ve gotten into countless arguments with some of the smartest idiots I know who can’t stand be stumped and will grasp for any reasons to explain the paradox except for their own ignorance. Ugh. I’m itching just thinking about it.

                Mr. Andre Walker and other Hollywood styling geniuses like him think that my hair is “limited”.   Said Walker in an interview with Elle,
“I always recommend embracing your natural texture. Kinky hair can have limited styling options; that’s the only hair type that I suggest altering with professional relaxing”.  

Really Mr. Walker, supposed pioneer of hair acceptance?!  Founder of the curl scale that many naturals use today??  Oh no sir, we don’t take too kindly to that at all. When Walker saw the negative responses that he was getting from the kinky hair sisters, he resorted to his blog to respond and apologize….kinda…

“So when I say to embrace your natural texture, but consider relaxing kinky hair, am I contradicting myself? I don’t think so! You see, even relaxed hair can still be worn naturally. If you want a natural look, but find that your kinky hair is difficult to manage, breaks too easily, lacks shine and luster, and limits your preferred styling options, I say feel free to consider a mild chemical relaxer, sometimes called a texturizer, that eases your hair to a more manageable texture and allows you to Make Peace With Your Hair.”
Really Andre? For a visionary, you sure sound like everybody else.

                And a less surprising but still disappointing quote comes from Sean Cameron, one of the members of the cast of Beverly Hills Fabulous. Sean, a bleached-blonde Black man from St. Louis, MO, exclaimed while servicing a client with big, beautiful, curly hair,
“You hear that America? Don’t call me if you gotta whole bunch of natural hair ‘cause I ain’t interested!”

He blames his attitude on his new assistant in his confession, yet still refers to his client as having “big ole natural hair like a Sasquatch”. He continues to whine throughout the session, calling it a “monster”, something he “does not like to do” and “not his forte”. He grunts, whines, and throws so much of a fit that if you close your eyes he would sound like a deep-voiced six-year old. Now to me, this seems like a personal problem. Or, to be more frank, NOT MY HAIR’S FAULT.

                To my discriminating stylists out there, if you cannot deal with my kinks, YOU need to improve your skillset. The fact that you cannot do my hair is not my hair’s fault and therefore is not my problem. The problem is your ignorance on the subject, not the subject. And if natural hair is not something that you know how to do, refer me to someone who CAN do it. But don’t insult the kinks. They are innocent. Oh, and don’t try to convince me that natural hair is healthier when it’s straight. My ancient ancestors wore their kinky hair proudly for years, and I’m pretty sure they weren’t all just waiting around for someone to invent the hot comb.
                Just like many kinky and curly haired girls today, many stylists have been brainwashed into thinking that the old way of doing things is the only way of doing things, and that any deviation is wrong. Many Black stylists with these views faced the same discrimination that we do (well not so much for these two because they are men). What’s my point? These people are damaged too, and just as scared of their kinks as you once were. The only difference is that they consider themselves the authority, but you are smarter than that. So continue to stick with the stylist that gets you, or stay the beautiful and innovative kitchen beautician that you are. Hollywood will catch up. J

2 comments:

  1. I would love for a stylist to say that to my face about my kinks. I've been natural for over two years, I downright & absolutely refuse to relax my hair for ANY reason. My hair looks so much better natural anyway

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've met stylists like this and they've always pissed me off. I've never though about the fact that they were taught to discriminate against our kinks too. You've helped me be more sensitive.

    ReplyDelete